Premises Liability Case Results
Derrick Marshall, a 19-year-old college athlete, drowned at a family reunion at the Roadway Inn on the Eastern Blvd. in Montgomery, Alabama. The Montgomery County Health Department had previously shut the pool down because the pool was "too cloudy." It was alleged that the hotel provided access to the pool notwithstanding the County mandate to shut down, and failed to have appropriate safety equipment to save Derrick Marshall. Derrick Marshall drowned in the deep end and was unable to be found for 10-12 minutes due to the cloudiness of the pool. Although Derrick did not die immediately after the event, he was left in a permanent vegetative state for over 4 months. He later died as a result of his injuries in Jackson Hospital. Josh Wright filed a lawsuit on September 7, 2007 against the hotel for negligence and wantonness. A general manager was later added as a party.
Verdict for the Plaintiff in the amount of $3,766,000.Landlord Fails to Use Smoke Detectors and Fire Causes Stroke and Brain Injury
Attorney Josh wright pursued a North Alabama landlord for failing to provide working smoke detectors in a residential house. A fire started at night due to defective wiring in a bedroom, and Mr. Wright presented a claim, arguing the local Code mandated working smoke detectors to wake the client up. The claim was settled for $1,225,000.Baby Lost Fingers in HVAC Electrocution
Attorney Josh Wright filed suit against a West Alabama apartment complex for failure to provide proper maintenance service. In this case, it was alleged that the service technician forgot to install an electrical cover back on the HVAC unit that had recently been serviced. A visiting infant child was playing with toys near the unit and touched the colorful wires that were exposed. The child was electrocuted and lost his fingers. The case was settled for a substantial and confidential amount.Non-Confidential Settlement for the Plaintiff in a Premises Liability Death Case
A patron of a local Montgomery convenience store was getting air for his car at night. Unknown to him, just an hour earlier a hooded gunman entered the property and attempted to rob a patron without success. The convenience store had failed to call the police to report the event. As the firms victim came to the convenience store to get air, he was shot in cold blood, caught on video. Josh Wright initiated a suit against the convenience store for failure contributing to the death of the decedent.
Josh Wright was proud to represent the Estate of the decedent through his widow.
Non-confidential settlement for $2,250,000.